For the host, they are a godsend. 10 minutes prep the day before, and chuck them in the oven while you get ready for the first arrivals. Easy as that.
You will need:
- 1kg chicken wings
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 4 tbsp sake
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or try using apricot/peach juice instead, as a sweetener)
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- thumb-sized knob of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, spring onions, and toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
An hour before your guests arrive, preheat the oven to 200C. Put the marinated chicken wings in the largest roasting tray you can find, and cook them for 45 minutes, basting and turning them once with tongs. If you haven't got a particularly large roasting tray, you may need to do this in two batches so that the wings bake rather than steam.
Garnish with sliced chilli and spring onions, and a scattering of lightly toasted sesame seeds (toast in a dry frying pan over a low heat for 4 minutes, shaking the pan frequently to stop them burning).