- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chuck/stewing steak, cut into generous bite-sized pieces
- 10-12 shallots, peeled but left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 ripe salad tomatoes, or 10 cherry tomatoes
- half a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, or similar hearty red wine
- 350ml chicken stock (Marigold or Kallo brand is fine, if you don't have fresh)
- 5in strip of orange peel
Add the celery, carrot, bay leaves, garlic, rosemary, and thyme, and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes, followed by the browned meat and its released juices, the wine, and the stock.
Simmer over a very gentle heat for 3-4 hours, covered with a lid on the hob (or in a preheated 150C oven). Stir once in a while, to make sure the meat isn't sticking to the bottom of the pan. In the last 30-40 minutes of cooking, add the orange peel. Remove the bay leaves and herb sprigs before serving.