Wednesday, 21 April 2010

At Home: Candied nuts

Another simple party pleaser, adapted from an out-of-print 1970's American 'sweet gifts' book, "Gifts from the Kitchen" (Norma Myers & Joan Scobey), which sits well-thumbed on mom's cookbook shelf. She makes batch after batch every Christmas, giving them away in kilner jars as gifts.


1 1/2 cups pecan nuts (or walnuts, if preferred)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1-2 tsp grated orange rind
  • Put all the ingredients in a large heavy skillet, and cook over a medium heat until the water evaporates and the nuts have a sugary look.
  • Pour the nuts onto a greased baking sheet, separating them quickly with a fork. Cool, and store in a sealed container.

4 comments:

  1. These look really wonderful, Laura. This is my first visit to your blog. I had intended only to say hello but was lured by your prior posts and stayed much longer than I planned. I really like what you are doing here and I'll be back often. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Mary. Delighted you've been lured in. Do keep popping by: I hope to try out many more recipes from my American mother/grandmother's archives over the coming months. Just need to get to grip with converting US to UK measures and ingredients! I love your recipe for applesauce cake, and will try it out soon. Reminds me of classic carrot cake recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just landed on your sight and my husband caught a picture of these moreish looking pecans. What more can I say - NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These nuts sound really good, the added orange is particularly unusual. Now beginning to feel peckish!

    ReplyDelete