Friday, 8 January 2010

2010 destination wish list

The first thing I do when I get a new diary is flick to the "notes" pages and make a list of all the places I want to eat that year (new and established).

Here's my 2010 list. Overly optimistic, perhaps, to aim for all of them. Which should I visit first? Any favourites?
  • L'Anima
  • Bar Shu
  • Wild Honey
  • Wolseley for breakfast
  • Yauatcha
  • Quo Vadis
  • Hibiscus
  • Le Gavroche
  • Anchor and Hope
  • Hawksmoor
  • Dinings
  • Ledbury
  • Eastside Inn
  • Baltic
  • River Cafe
  • Riva
  • Age & Sons, Ramsgate
  • Barrafina
  • Franco Manca
  • Cay Tre
  • La Trompette
  • Umu
  • Skylon Bar
  • Downstairs at Terroirs
  • Pollen St.
  • Galvin La Chapelle
  • Dean Street Townhouse

5 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Bar Shu, although it's not for the faint-hearted (which I know you're not!). Having said that, Hunan is now probably my favourite Chinese restaurant in London. It's a true Chinese feast, and is the only place I've been to where the menu consists of "what don't you eat?" (I know it sounds gimmicky, but it's not)

    I know I haven't answered your question, but I don't think I know enough to give a sensible answer! Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sheer good value, conviviality, simple good food, quirky wine list and genuine good value I would definitely visit Terroirs. See my blog post on FoodWineTravel.
    For a special epicurean treat go to the Ledbury. Chef Brett Graham really deserves 2 Michelin stars. If he doesn't get them soon I'll be very surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Robert. Yes, I regularly visit the ground floor bar area for a bite to eat and to try some stunning wine. (Your blog post reminds me how delicious their steak tartare is!) Being pregnant, I'm having to give the place a wide berth, but as soon as I can drink to my heart's delight and eat raw meat, pates, and shellfish again, I'll return. They've opened a new restaurant in the basement - that's the place I want to try.

    Do you think the Ledbury's set menu is good value? Will have to put a cap on the number of Michelin-starred establishments I try out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of The Anchor and Hope - unpretentious, rustic and BIG plates. My favourite combination. I am also a big fan of Hawksmoor. Your list reflects a lot of places I'd like to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lizzie. I'm going to The Anchor and Hope in a week or two for weeknight dinner. What's your favourite dish? I am a fan of big, bold food, so have a feeling it will suit me down to the ground.

    ReplyDelete