Wednesday, 18 November 2009

At Home: Pecan Pie

Thanksgiving's on the way, so what better excuse to face my fear of pastry and have a trial run with Pecan Pie.

There are a lot of recipes out there, most of them bastardized versions of the American classic. After trawling through books and blogs, I finally came across Melissa Kronenthal's version on her lovely blog, The Traveler's Lunchbox, and set to work. The flaky pastry ("crust") recipe sounded bizarre to a pastry novice: cider vinegar? Philadelphia cheese? No eggs? Melissa attributes it to Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible, and my Ohio-born mother insists authentic Pecan Pie must only be made with cream cheese crust, so I wasn't going to submit to regular shortcrust. I needn't have worried: it was simple to make, easy to roll, and incredibly light and flaky. The mix itself took just a couple of minutes to prepare.

Unfortunately I cooked it on too high a heat, and the top burnt before the inside was properly cooked. I turned the oven down to finish it off, and hid the charred top with a liberal dusting of icing sugar. Lesson learnt.

Before...
And after...I'm going to have another go next week, making individual tarts as Thanksgiving gifts for family, and will cook them a little more gently this time. Pics to follow...

Well, here's one pic. They aren't as pretty as I'd have liked. The pastry stuck to the individual tart tins because I forgot to butter them, but I'm pleased to say they passed the taste test. I'll be taking a box to Automat for Thanksgiving dinner with mum and sister tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment